Monday, March 8, 2010

Food

I think by now everyone knows that I like to cook and bake. I love sharing recipes with you, it's what I would do if you were actually here sharing a meal with me. I may even write them on one of these cards
So here it is, another recipe post...
We had a sandwich night a couple of weeks ago and instead of making something we always have I used some toasted Roggan Bread from Fino and made a white bean mash, topped it with long thin strips of cucumbers and shaved Petit Cantal Cheese. It looked promising, but begging for a colorful side dish. Enter the apple slaw...

Neither Ira nor I are fans of overly creamy slaw and, truth be told, I would rather use a dollop of sour cream than mayo, but the market was on a sour cream drought that week so mayo was what I had to work with. The whole thing really came about from what we had on hand. The best kind of recipe, I think! It was a perfect, crunchy companion to the sandwich. And I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. Sorry, Ira!

Apple Slaw

half a head of purple cabbage, thinly sliced
one apple, thinly sliced
one handful chopped cilantro
1 tbs. mayo (or sour cream!)
2 tsp. celery seed
black pepper and salt to taste


Toss the cabbage, apple, and cilantro with the mayo and celery seed. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

nicole said...

Love cabbage salad -- I actually make it sometime w/out any dairy (ie mayo) ... with a bit of soy sauce instead. More savory, and still delish :) YUM.